My Candle Makes a Popping Noise!

Candles produce crackling or popping sound when they burn because of two broad reasons. The first and most common reason is lack of care after relighting the candle of a mistake in the production.

The following are reasons why your candle makes a popping sound;

  1. Long Wicks

One way to take care of your candles is by regularly checking and trimming the wick. A very tall wick will not only make your candle to produces that popping noise when you burn it but will also make it burn with smoke.

long candlewick
Source

You can trim you wick using a small pair of scissors.  Always try as much as possible to limit the height of your wick to a quarter an inch above the wax.

  1. Moisture around the Wick

Some people have this tendency of curing their candles inside freezers or in wet moist places. If your candle produces a popping sound and you are one of these people, now you know why. The popping sound is often as a result of the moisture or dumpiness around the wick when the candle is lit.

cause of a popping candle
Moisture around the wick

You should always try to store your candles in cool dry places of your house. Also. for whatever reason you might be curing that candle in a freezer, kindly avoid it. Freezers also give the candles that dumpiness and may cause them to burn inappropriately. It’s better to cure candles at room temperature or in the fridge.

  1. Impurities

Sometimes the popping sound may not be your fault at all. It might be because of faults during the manufacturing process.

Impurities might sneak into the wax during manufacturing. This might come from the fragrance oil poured into melted wax. The additives that are used to give the candles its color might also have failed to dissolve completely into the wax causing the candle to burn with a crackling sound.

You might try to solve this problem at home by trying to drain some wax from the candle since sometimes the impurities only appear up to a certain height of the finished candle. This method is however risky.

It is recommended that if your candle sizzles when you light it up, and you are certain that the wick is properly trimmed and it is not exposed to any moisture and dumpiness, just extinguish and discard it.

If it was new and that was the first lighting try other candles from the same batch. The problem might be from the manufacturing side. You might return it to your supplier if you want your money back.

Bottom line

You should always take great care of the candles you use to get maximum service from them. Keep them safe, maintain trimming of the wick and you will certainly get the best service out of your candle.

Leave a Comment